PhD and Doctorate
PhD and Doctorate are basic forms of scientific-pedagogical and scientific personnel of higher qualification.
In Ukraine, PhD and Doctorate opens at higher educational institutions of the third or fourth levels of accreditation and similar postgraduate educational institutions or scientific institutions that have highly qualified educational and scientific personnel and advanced research, experimental and material resources.
Postgraduate study is carried out separately from the job (full-time) and on the job (part-time).
While studying, postgraduates master the methods of scientific research, pass candidate exams and conduct research for the chosen scientific focus of the thesis. In Ukraine, there are PhD exams in philosophy, foreign languages (to choose) and specialty (depending on the specialty for which the thesis is prepared). Students enrolled in PhD study separately from the job in the state order receive state scholarships (PhD students who are enrolled under the contract are not eligible to receive state scholarships). Upon completion of studying postgraduate students have to finish work on their thesis and submit it for the defense.
Doctorate accepts persons who have a scientific degree of PhD, scientific achievements and published works of chosen scientific specialty and who can conduct high-level fundamental, searching and applied scientific research.
The result of postgraduate’s three years of activity is research work for the PhD degree, and after a public defence – its approval by the Higher Attestation Commission of Ukraine and awarding a scientific degree. The doctorate can enter a citizen of Ukraine with a PhD not earlier than 5 years after the respective thesis defence.
Activities in the field of training scientific and pedagogical personnel is governed by the “Regulations on the preparation of scientific and pedagogical staff,” approved by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine resolution № 309 of 01.03.1999. Picking out the state order for training of scientific and pedagogical staff through graduate school, the state pays great attention to the rational use of public funds. The main criterion of efficiency of the PhD school is the number of theses defended by applicants during their studies in PhD school. Therefore, a great responsibility falls directly on postgraduate students.
Rights and responsibilities of postgraduate students
PhD students have the right to:
1. Use educational and productional, scientific, cultural, sports and recreational base of higher education institutions or research institutions.
2. Get any open scientific information and scientific advice.
3. Participate in the research activities of the department, division, laboratory.
4. Get established amount of state scholarship if enrolled separately from the job in the state order.
5. Interrupt the studying for good reasons, with resuming it later. Duration and number of interruptions of study and valid reasons are determined by the Academic Council of the university or research institution.
6. Go on annual vacation for up to two calendar months included in the total period of study in case of studying separately from the job.
7. Participate in elections to local government of the university or research institution.
8. Work part-time in accordance with the laws of Ukraine (based on contracts signed).
9. Have safe and harmless studying and working conditions.
10. Be provided with comfortable housing during studying in case of admission to study separately from the job in the state order, provided payment for the housing by student (from other cities).
11. Requiring by universities or research institutions from postgraduate student duties, which aren’t associated with the preparation of the thesis, is prohibited.
PhD students are required to:
1. Comply with the requirements of legislation, moral, ethical norms.
2. Deeply acquire knowledge, practical skills, professional skills, raise the general cultural level.
3. Master the methodology of scientific research.
4. Perform an individual plan of work on their thesis. Individual work plan involves passing PhD specialty, foreign languages and philosophy exams, and if necessary – further examination determined by the decision of the specialized Academic Council of institution, which provides defence of the thesis, and tests of subjects specified by decision of the Academic Council of the university or research institutions based on the studying profile and teaching practice.
5. Report on the progress of the thesis at the meeting of the faculty, department, laboratory, academic council of the university or research institution.
6. Defend the thesis in a timely manner and submit it to the specialized Academic Council.
7. Comply with the regulations and rules of internal order of the university, research institution.
What is needed for successful implementation of paragraph 6 of the above obligations?
First year PhD students must:
1. Attend classes in philosophy and the respective foreign language.
2. Apply to Postgraduate Department excerpt about approval of the supervisor from the Department meeting.
3. Submit and approve:
a) the subject of the philosophy abstract. Subject is agreed at the Philosophy Department (abstract must be prepared for the admission to a candidate test);
b) foreign edition book or scientific article in a foreign language to translate are approved by supervisor and teacher who direct the graduate student.
4. Apply to Postgraduate Department excerpt from the meeting of the department and the Academic Council of university department (faculty or institute) about approving the thesis topic; individual work plan approved by the postgraduate student, signed by the supervisor; prepared philosophy and the respective foreign language abstracts.
5. Complete certification at a meeting of the first half of the school year and fill in an individual plan.
6. Approve certification at a meeting of the Academic Councils of departments or institutions during the first half of the school year.
7. Submit to Postgraduate Department the results of certification:
a) extracts from the meeting of the Academic Council of the faculty or institute and department meeting;
b) filled and signed individual plan of work.
To transfer to the second year of PhD study the student must:
1. Pass the candidate exams in philosophy and the respective foreign language.
2. Take the initiative and carry out the supervisor’s tasks concerning topic of scientific research.
3. Pick the relevant literature and write analytical part of the thesis.
4. Formulate goals and objectives of the study, choose and learn methods of researching and solving the tasks.
5. Conduct scientific research and testing of the results at scientific conferences, prepare and publish two articles in professional journals.
PhD students in the second year of study with separation from the job and the third year of study on the job must:
1. Complete teaching practice (prepare and lecture specialty lessons, conduct laboratory or practical classes with the students under the guidance of the supervisor) within the time specified by the specialized department. Report on the results of the practice at a meeting of the department and submit excerpt from the meeting to Postgraduate Department.
2. Conduct experimental studies defined by individual work plan of graduate student.
3. Report periodically about results of the study on scientific seminars and meetings of specialized department and conduct their approbation at no fewer than two conferences on this specialty.
4. Publish or submit for publication at least two articles in professional journals.
5. Finish collecting material to complete the thesis research.
6. Write and submit the second and third chapters of the thesis to supervisor and leading specialists of this profession for inspection.
7. Clearly formulate the stages of completion of thesis research.
PhD students in the third year of study with separation from the job or the fourth year of study on the job must:
1. Pass the candidate exam in the specialty of graduate student study.
2. Publish the main results of the thesis research in professional journals and have them tested at the conferences.
3. Clearly formulate the conclusions of the thesis and show the contribution of PhD student into accomplishment of the scientific objectives during this research.
4. Fully complete the thesis.
5. Prepare for the prior PhD thesis defence at the department meeting.
6. Complete certification at the department meeting for the entire period of study.
7. Submit the thesis materials to specialized Academic Council.
Documents required for admission to PhD school
Postgraduate Information Report
More information can be found on a Postgraduate and doctoral department website